So it is now officially Autumn here in Souther Spain. Yep, that season I forgot existed. The one where you leave the house in the morning in a jumper and by midday you are sweating and in need of a dip in the pool! I have honestly completely forgotten what seasons felt like after living in Dubai for the last two years! Dubai, the sand pit city where the only seasons you see are either Summer or Hell! (a.k.a. The kinda heat that makes you feel like you are stood next to a burning bonfire kinda heat!)
Kids and changeable climates equals BUGS, and man did I catch one! Snotty, sneezey, hot one minute, then freezing the next; I honestly felt like I could sleep for days. Luckily after midday it is still hitting the mid 20 degree marks and in true Costa Del Sol style the sun is always shining, which makes me happy, even when I am unwell!
I don’t know about you, but whenever I am a little run down my appetite is HUGE and I can never seem to stop eating! I actually listen to my body and took the night off the gym… But what to eat? Decisions on food are always the hardest in my eyes, indecisive should be my middle name. Well, I knew I wanted something comforting, yet nutritious. Carby, yet healthy. Quick, yet delicious. So this dish was the one for the occasion!
I have been cooking this recipe for as long as I can remember, with the odd tweak here and there. I’ve served it as a dish when having friends over and it is always a hit! This chicken and chickpea curry is perfect whether you want to impress the in laws or just sit in your sweats with a big bowl and spoon for one (in this case it was the latter).
Here is what you will need:
- 500grams of skinless, fresh chicken breast – diced into cubes
- 1 medium sized courgette – diced into quarters
- 100 grams of spinach
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tabelspoon of curry powder
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1 can of chickpeas (garbanzos)
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon of ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 cup of water (can add more if the sauce thickens too much)
- Cilantro for garnish (optional)
How to cook:
- Heat the olive oil and cook off the onions and chicken until the chicken is golden.
- Add the garlic, curry powder, cinnamon and cloves and cook until the garlic has softened and the spices are fragrant.
- Add the chickpeas, courgettes, spinach, tomato paste, lemon juice, salt, pepper and water then bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for around 10 minutes, or until the dish comes to a nice consistency. (Think less like soup and more like stew! I personally like mine a little on the thick side.)
- Garnish with cilantro and serve!
This dish takes no longer than 20 minutes and can be enjoyed on its own or with a side of rice. If you want to keep it completely Paleo, try having it with cauliflower rice. I usually would, but in this case I enjoyed it with a side of wholegrain rice and loved every bite!
I hope you like it and don’t forget to tag me in any recreations on instagram @cookeatsquatrepeat.
Sending happy vibes to you all!