When you come across fresh king prawns at the supermarket for 8 dirhams a pack (under 2 euros) you don’t think twice, you snap them up and run! Especially in Dubai, the food here is SO expensive! I got the last two packets left on the shelf and pretty much skipped out of there! I should probably clarify that I DID pay for them before skipping out the door… It’s definitely not worth getting locked up for the sake of 16 dizzars!
I got home and spent about 10 minutes tapping my fingernails on the kitchen counter, contemplating how I was going to cook these prawns. Curry style? Pil pil? Baked in chopped tomatoes? Too many options were running through my head! After staring in the fridge and cupboard for over 5 minutes, I finally made a decision… Hallelujah!
I experimented and came up with potentially one of my new favourite prawn recipes! A garlicky, zesty prawn linguine with a hint of chili.. taste bud tingles much! I used zoodles in replacement of pasta (obsessed with this at the moment!) by cooking them off in the same pan I sauteed the prawns in. This gave them a lovely coating which complimented the dish perfectly! I used apple cider vinegar and a splash of white wine. White wine adds a sophisticated touch to the sauce, but if you’re completely avoiding alcohol for any reason, it’s not needed, as the apple cider vinegar gives near enough the same effect. Just make sure you add a little more than mentioned below to make up for the lack of wine!
The experiment seemed to go well, judging by my friend Layla’s ‘mmm’ing at every bite and complimenting how good the meal was! I love feeding her, it’s great for the ego! Although, I must say I was pretty chuffed with the way it turned out myself!
Quick, easy and delicious. ( I mean the food).
Exactly what you need towards the end of a loooong week!
What you will need:
- 650-700 grams of fresh prawns, shelled, washed and ready to cook.
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- 2 small lemons, squeezed
- 1/2 cup of spinach (optional)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (or choice of oil to cook in)
- 1 large zucchini, spiralized
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinger
- 1/4 cup of white wine (add more apple cider vinegar if you are not adding wine)
- 1 1/2 tsp of chili flakes
- 1 tsp of parsely
- 2 tsp of basil
- Salt and pepper to season
How to make:
- Cook the garlic in 1 tbsp of oil, let simmer for 1-2 minutes before adding the prawns.
- Add the chili flakes, salt and pepper and cook for a further 3-5 minutes.
- Removed prawns from the pan and add the rest of the oil, lemon juice, vinegar and white wine. Allow sauce to simmer and get sticky in the pan.
- Once sticky, throw the prawns back into the pan along with the spinach, season with basil and sautee for 2 minutes.
- Take prawns out of the pan and into a bowl along with most the sauce, leaving some for the zucchini linguini.
- Throw the spiralized zucchini in the pan and cook for a few minutes until they soften.
- Place the zoodles on a plate and top with the prawns and rest of the sauce.
- Season with parsley.
I hope you guys enjoy it as much as we did! I will certainly be making this dish a regular!
Love J xx
Ps. I had some sauce leftover so added to it and baked white fish for lunch the next day and Oh. My. Gawd…. A-MAZING!