Ive been feeling really unwell this week. I suffer from PCOS which can sometimes take it out of you and it seems this month it has done just that! (Now where did I put my tiny violin?!) I haven’t trained as much or as hard this week due to being so lethargic, which is SO frustrating, but the rest was much needed. Being anemic and suffering from PCOS means my insulin levels do drop quite dramatically, which leads me to crave sugar (the devil itself!) and CARBS… Well actually my body is just in search of foods which provide energy, but my cravings have been pretty extreme this week! Not helped by the fact it is Ramadan here in Dubai, so drinking and eating at my desk is forbidden…. My usual afternoon dip was turning into a crash! I have to mention how much respect I have for people who fast, I honestly could not do it!
On Monday night I went home feeling awful and made myself some creamy steak with sweet potato and THEN had a bowl of ice cream so there was no way I would let myself fall into the hole of eating badly two nights in a row! So obviously the only solution was to bake. As always, I bought FAR too many bananas on my last visit to the supermarket (the only thing that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg in Dubai!) which lead to my decision to make a banana bread. I had a little debate with myself as to whether I was going to make this a blueberry and banana bread, peanut butter and banana bread or a chocolate one, so I eventually came to the decision that CHOCOLATE was the winner (isn’t it always?!).
Here you have my new fave – Double Chocolate and Banana Bread Slabs. Be prepared to turn into a addict, this recipe is just insanely moreish!
What you need:
- 3 large ripe bananas (or 4 medium)
- 3 medium eggs
- 3/4 cup of coconut flour
- 1/4 cup o almond flour
- 1/4 cup of raw coco powder
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of chopped 70% organic chocolate (or dark choc chips)
How to make:
- Preheat the oven to 190degrees and grease a 8×8 inch pan WELL with coconut oil
- Blend bananas, eggs, and vanilla until smooth
- In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients: Coconut, almond flour, baking powder & soda, salt and mix well.
- Gently stir wet mixture into dry ingredients.
- Stir in chocolate chips, leaving some to the side to place on top.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan and sprinkle remaining chocolate chunks on top.
- Bake for 18-23 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean (I SWEAR by this theory)
- Leave to cool for 15 minutes before cutting into slabs. ( Should make around 12-14)
- Try not to eat them all in one sitting!! (Much harder than you think!)
Love J xxx
P.S I will not be made responsible for any addictions this recipe may cause….