I’ve gone 14 days without chocolate…. 14!! Can you believe it?! I should probably clarify that by chocolate I mean Lindt 70% coco (I know some would argue to even call it chocolate) but it really works in taking away that sweet tooth craving I get!
It was becoming a bit of a habit and it had got to the stage where I was having at least two squares a day with a green tea… You know that afternoon ‘dip’, where you are unsure if you will make it through the last few hours at work and just need a little pick me up! Of course dark chocolate is not the WORST snack to turn to, as it does have some health benefits, but there is that old saying of “Too much of a good thing can be bad for you”, so with that in mind I cut it out completely!
I’m coming into week 3 of no chocolate, the same week I also decided to up my training and cut out any complex carbs during the weekdays, so it is fair to say my afternoon “dip” is starting to feel more like torture… Not helped by the fact I am SO hungry all the time at the moment!
Knowing it would only get worse through the week, I thought it was best that I bake myself some healthy treats to get me through! The raw carrot sticks just weren’t doing it! (Will they ever?)
So I got my baking head on and came up with a couple of different cookie recipes, using the same base for each but adding whey isolate protein to one batch (for all you gym heads) and leaving the second batch completely Vegan. Both batches are sweetened with banana and agave honey, are completely dairy free and equally as tasty!
What you will need for the base of the cookies:
- 2 medium sized, ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup of coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 tablespoon of raw peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons of Agave honey (can use usual honey if not Vegan)
- 2 tablespoons of natural, sugar free coconut or almond milk
- 1 tablespoon of Flax seeds to 2 of water
For Protein cookies:
- Add one scoop of Whey Protein Isolate to the mixture
- 1/4 cup of dark choc chips (optional)
For Vegan/Paleo versions:
- Add quarter cup of dessicated coconut
- 3 Dates
Get yo bake on!
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees. Combine the dry ingredients in one bowl (add protein powder and choc chips at this stage if following the Protein Cookies recipe!) and blend together the peanut butter, honey of choice, milk, flax mixture in a separate bowl.
- Add wet mixture to dry mixture to form a dough. You may want to add more milk if you feel necessary, mixture should be dough like so not sloppy.
- Roll the mixture into small balls (makes around 10-12), place on lightly greased (with coconut oil) baking tray or baking sheet and flatten gently to form cookies with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 8 – 10 minutes. Remove and allow to cool before storing but highly recommended to eat straight out the oven! (Maybe I am just too inpatient)
*Tip : I sprinkles dessicated coconut on top of my vegan cookies right before baking to add a little crunch!
Sadly I only got to eat one cookie out of this batch as my friends/colleagues had claimed them before I even got a look in! Looks like I will be baking more again tonight! Not that I need an excuse!
Peace out cookie monsters and please don’t forget to tag me in any Instagram posts if you bake them yourselves!